Economics and Management (E&M) is a three-year degree program focusing on the acquisition of multidisciplinary expertise in economics, management, accounting and statistics. Its purpose is to prepare students to understand how firms work and operate in the increasingly complex social and economic environment they face. Graduates in Economics and Management will be able to understand economic and financial phenomena and their effects on markets and firms; they will acquire all the core skills required for analyzing the firm’s behavior and for designing the firm’s optimal strategy. Economics and Management graduates will also achieve the necessary background and skills to successfully progress to postgraduate courses in Italy and elsewhere. At the University of Siena they will have the opportunity to apply for the MSc in Accounting and Management (AMa), the MSc in Economics and Finance and the MSc in Economics; all of which are taught in English.
The program will provide students with
- management and accounting skills that will enable them to address and solve business problems and to prepare and analyze accounting reports;
- the ability to use quantitative and statistical tools in order to analyze firm behavior, market environments and consumer demand;
- the ability to use theoretical and quantitative tools in order to understand the trends of the main economic and financial variables and to frame firm behavior in the national and international macroeconomic context;
- the ability to deal with market economies and related phenomena, from both a strictly economic point of view and in terms of social implications;
- the capability to support small and medium firms in entering international markets and in properly facing the challenges of globalization.
For the extra-EU students the first level course in Economics and Banking is a restricted-access programme: this means that extra-EU students, in whatever system they have been educated, must satisfy specific admission requirements (I) and pass an entrance exam (II) in order to enroll.
Only those students meeting the admission criteria and passing the exam described in the following document will be admitted to the course, in a number within the quota set by the Ministry.
Our graduates are expected to acquire both core economic and management capabilities and excellent problem solving skills that will enable them to successfully enter the international labor market.
Specific job opportunities include junior positions in various firm’s occupations (programming and control, marketing, purchasing, organization, etc.) in companies or institutions competing at the global level.
Economics and Management graduates will also achieve the necessary background and skills to successfully progress to postgraduate courses in Italy and elsewhere.